Contact Big Yes Press
Contact Big Yes Press regarding our books, our authors, your manuscript or to arrange an event or reading. BIG YES Press anchors its books in community and promotes each publication via press networks, media and events.
Contact Big Yes Press
BIG YES PRESS
P.O. Box 4344
San Luis Obispo, CA 93403
BYP serves one book at a time, with care and attention from first manuscript to last page. A book can take several months, start to release.
Big Yes Press is not-profit. BYP does not make ANY money from the sale of ANY book. Let’s repeat that. BYP does not make money publishing poetry! We do this because we love poetry!
BYP selects, edits and guides production and release of each book. Poets co-fund book design, printing and shipping. All BYP books have a print run of in-the-hand books. We have production partners that beat Amazon for quality and cost.
This business model allows BYP poets to retain 100% ownership and 100% of the profits from book sales. There is no pre-order or minimum copies sold. And poets do not have to buy back their own books from the publisher.
Unsolicited queries from established and emerging poets are welcome according to these steps:
- HAVE a titled complete book length (minimum of 55-60 pages) manuscript of ordered poetry ready to submit before you query. NO chapbooks.
- WHEN Ready, send BYP a query with a synopsis of your book, a short bio and a 3-5 poem sample to email@example.com. Tell us how you heard about BYP and why you want to publish with BYP. Tell us how you intend to promote your book after it is released.
- BYP will let you know if your book query sparks interest as soon as possible. Kindly do not send a manuscript in whole or part until you have introduced yourself and your book to BYP and gotten an invitation to start a dialogue to see if your book is a fit.
- Samples and manuscripts should be written in English. If your book will be poems in translation, let us know this, but only include the poems in English for BYP consideration of the manuscript.
- BYP does not publish poetry collections that appear to us to harangue or proselytize.
- If any of your poems have been previously published in a journal or other venue, you must have rights to publish these in your own book.
Tips to prepare a poetry manuscript for submission if you haven’t done this before.
- Gather your best and favorite work, the poems you care about, that you like to read and share with others. Spread them out. Look for common elements and themes. This process can take a long time.
- Look for strong poems to start and end your book as these set a tone to introduce and give some closure.
- Consider your readers. Is your book a collection? Using sections can be helpful. Is it a coming of age or hero’s journey book in that you as poet grow and challenge obstacles through the poems? In this case, poems could start with your call to the journey, advance along the course of change, and come to a kind of resolution at the end.
- Using a poem title for your book title is risky. Doing so puts a burden on that poem and on the book to deliver on the poem. Instead, consider what story telling thread/s run through your poems and consider titles that invite reader into that story.
- All BYP books must be at least 72 bound pages to have a spine. All BYP books have spines. So a manuscript has a minimum of 50+ poems assuming that these poems are 1-2 pages each.
- Lastly, treat your poems with love and affection. Not every poem will make the cut into this book but may find its way into another book.
- IMPORTANT! Before you submit a manuscript, it should be formatted for a 6” x 9” book with 1.25” margins all around. The font size should be 11 or 12 with poem titles at the top of the page. At the end of each poem, the poet should insert a page break. Please use a running head that includes your manuscript title, your name and page number. Remember, your work is copyrighted to you.
- Manuscripts that do not proceed with BYP will be deleted from BYP’s records.