Contact Big Yes Press
Contact Big Yes Press regarding our books, our authors, your manuscript or to arrange an event or reading. BIG YES Press anchors its books in community and promotes each publication via press networks, media and events.
Contact Big Yes Press
BIG YES PRESS
P.O. Box 4344
San Luis Obispo, CA 93403
Big Yes Press serves every book with care and attention. A book can take several months, start to release, so if you are in a hurry, consider your options.
BYP is not-profit. BYP does not make ANY money from the sale of ANY book. Let’s repeat that. BYP does not make money publishing!!! We do this because we want to do this!
BYP selects, edits and guides production and release of each book. All BYP books have a print run of in-the-hand books. (Some books are also made available as ebooks.) Our production partners beat Amazon for quality and cost.
BYP is committed to authors retaining 100% ownership and 100% of the profits from the sale of their books. There is no pre-order or minimum copies sold.
Unsolicited queries from established and emerging writers and poets are welcome according to these steps:
- HAVE a titled complete book length (minimum of 55-60 pages for poetry, longer in other genres) manuscript of ordered poetry or writing ready to submit before you query. NO chapbooks. Collections of short fiction or other manuscripts will be considered on
- WHEN ready, send BYP a query with a brief synopsis of your book, a short bio, and a 3-5 poem sample or first chapter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us how you heard about BYP and why you want to publish with BYP. This part is important: Tell us who you imagine will want to read your book and how you intend to promote your book after it is released.
- BYP will let you know if your query sparks interest as soon as possible. Kindly do not send a manuscript in whole or part until you have introduced yourself and your book to BYP and gotten an invitation to start a dialogue to see if your book is a fit.
- Samples and manuscripts should be written in English. If your book will be in translation, let us know this, but only include the manuscript in English for BYP consideration.
- BYP does not publish any writing or poetry that appears to us to harangue or proselytize.
- If any of your writing or poems have been previously published in a journal or other venue, you must have rights to publish these in your own book.
Tips to prepare a manuscript for submission if you haven’t done this before.
- Gather your the writing you care about, that you like to read and share with others. Look for common elements and themes. This process can take a long time. This applies to poetry and short story collections.
- Look for strong writing to start and end your book as these set a tone to introduce and give some closure.
- Consider your readers. Is your book a collection? Using sections can be helpful. Is it a coming of age or hero’s journey book in that you grow and challenge obstacles? In this case, writing could start with your call to the journey, advance along the course of change, and come to a kind of resolution at the end.
- Using a poem or short story title for your book title is risky. Doing so puts a burden on the book. Instead, consider what story telling thread/s you have and consider a title that invites reader into that.
- All BYP poetry books must be at least 72 bound pages to have a spine. All BYP books have spines. So a manuscript has a minimum of 50+ poems assuming that these poems are 1-2 pages each.
- Lastly, treat your work with love and affection. Many favorite stories or poems will not make the cut into this book but may find their way into another book.
- IMPORTANT! Before you submit a manuscript, it should be formatted for a 6” x 9” book with 1.25” margins all around. The font size should be 11 or 12 with poem titles at the top of the page. At the end of each poem, the poet should insert a page break. Please use a running head that includes your manuscript title, your name and page number. Remember, your work is copyrighted to you.
- Manuscripts that do not proceed with BYP will be deleted from BYP’s records.